- This event has passed.
Course 207 – Practical Negotiations for U.S. Federal And Federally Assisted Projects
July 18 @ 8:00 am - July 19 @ 5:00 pm
This course reviews the Uniform Act acquisition (negotiation) requirements for Federal and federally assisted programs. During this course, participants examine negotiations styles and explore practical approaches, and are also provided with tips on how to improve settlement rates for right of way acquisitions, with adequate consideration to significant right of way elements involved in the location and design of the project, including possible social, economic, and environmental effects.
- An intermediate course that can be applied towards continuing education and recertification credit.
- Specialist: Required course for the R/W-URAC program; an elective for the R/W-AMC, R/W-EC, and R/W-NAC programs.
- Demonstrate a basic knowledge of the requirements, as they relate to negotiationsfor Federal and federally assisted projects under the Uniform Relocation Assistanceand Real Property Acquisition Policies Act of 1970, as amended.
- Develop an understanding of negotiating styles.
- Use practical approaches and tips to improve right of way acquisition settlement rates.
Course Tuition Includes
- Participant Manual
- Successful Communication and Negotiation Textbook (separate purchase; available through IRWA’s Publication Store)
Who Should take this course
- Department of Transportation employees and other highway oriented negotiators
- Land acquisition agents who have less than 5 years negotiation experience
- More experienced agents desiring a refresher
- Individuals seeking improved settlement rates for acquisition
Tamara G Benson, SR/WA, R/W-RAC, R/W-URAC is the owner of Aviva Learning & Consulting, LLC and specializes in delivering customized training programs for professionals involved in Real Estate Infrastructure Projects. Aviva also provides consulting services, including expert witness testimony and quality assurance services on Infrastructure related projects. Prior to starting Aviva, Tamara was the Director of Training and Development for Universal Field Services, Inc., and was responsible for the development and implementation of in-house and project specific training programs for staff and clients. Tamara has been involved in the Right of Way Industry since 1990 and has a diverse knowledge of the right of way industry having performed as a Records/Database Manager, Litigation/Title Coordinator, Acquisition/Relocation Agent, Relocation Supervisor, Quality Assurance Supervisor, Project Manager on government projects in Oklahoma and providing project oversight on projects in Virginia, South Carolina, and Pennsylvania. Tamara attended the University of Oklahoma and holds the SR/WA designation and the R/W-URAC and R/W-RAC certifications from the International Right of Way Association (IRWA). She was a contributing author to the 2012 Edition of The Principles of Right of Way and serves as the Chair to the Partnership for Infrastructure Professional Education. She is also a CLIMB Certified Instructor for IRWA courses and is a current member of the International Relocation Assistance Committee. She has served in all positions of IRWA Chapter 33 and was named the Chapter Professional of the Year in 2004 and 2010, as well as the IRWA Region 2 Professional of the Year in 2010. Tamara was also selected as the 2010 recipient of the Frank C. Balfour Professional of the Year Award at IRWA’s 57th Annual Education Conference held in Atlanta, GA.
Lori A. Vernon, SR/WA, R/W-RAC
6737 X. 85th East AVe
Tulsa, OK 74133
Phone: (918) 494-7600
Fax: (918) 494-7650
Mid-American Christian University (MACU)
3500 SW 119th St.
Oklahoma City, OK 73170
Phone: (405) 692-3242
Participant Capacity: 30
SUGGESTED HOTEL ACCOMMODATIONS:
SpringHill Suites by Marriott
613 NW 8th Street
Moore, OK 73160
Phone: (800) 343-4795
Rate: Single – $104.00 + tax per night
Contact hotel directly for reservations
Must mention IRWA class when making reservations